Monday, March 10, 2014

Cutting Vinyl Lattice



Hi all,
I have some vinyl lattice work I am replacing. The problem is, it needs to be cut. If I use a coping saw, it will take forever and it makes for ragged edges. Could I use a dremel for this to make the work go faster and smoother?
Vic

If you have a circular saw you can use a fine tooth paneling blade installed backwards in the saw. Instead of the front sharp edge of the teeth cutting into the material the back edge sort of rubs/melts it's way through with much less chance of chipping.
If you have a reciprocating saw (Sawzall) or jigsaw a medium tooth blade will work.
A Dremell tool will work but it will be very, very slow. It is more suited to precision, detailed work.

Thanks!
I do have a circular saw. Can I get a fine tooth paneling blade (its a Sears saw) at Home Depot if I tell them that's what I need? Sometimes I hit the places and they don't know where things are at or what I need.
I've heard of a jigsaw and a reciprocating saw ... which one will give me the nice sharp precise edges? If the Dremell tool is slow, but its going to make it look sharp and not freyed like, I might be interested in that.

You should be able to find blades for your saw almost anywhere (Home Depot, Lowes, True Value and probably even Wal-Mart...). You will need to know the diameter of blade (how big around it is).

Ive used a circular saw and a reciprocating saw and ive found the easiest cleanest method was a large pair of metal snips--the kind that look like huge scissors .

Can you give me the exact name of the tool please? That would help me in finding it.
Thanks,
Victoria

I know it's been a while, but I just used PilotDane's advice below and it works like a dream. I turned my regular old circular saw blade backwards and it really did kinda melt right through the vinly - beautiful cut.
I wrote a quick post on it too -************

This is what you need:
Avanti 7-1/4 in. x 140 Tooth OSB/Plywood Circular Saw Blade-A07140A at The Home Depot






Tags: cutting, vinyl, lattice, Home Depot, what need, circular fine, circular fine tooth, circular fine tooth paneling, circular fine tooth paneling blade, Dremell tool, fine tooth