Monday, March 10, 2014

220 Volt Extension Cord For Millermatic 180 Welder



Hi guys- I have a new welder in my shop. It's a Millermatic 180. The tag on the back says 230 volts,21.7amps and has a 4.13 KW 1 phase. I want to put together an extension cord of 80' so I can access my shop and go outside a bit. I was thinking 10 gauge and some are telling me 8gaugewire. I would like to be able to rool this thing up when I'm not using it. So, what do you advise ?

Hello, Welcome to the Forums!!
I think you would be ok using 10 gauge for this cord. Using a larger gauge dosent hurt so you can use 8 if you want. 8 Gauge is good up to 40 amps and 10 is good for 30. I dont think you will have to worry about voltage drop too much. Get yourself 80' of 10/4 SJO cable. even if it dosent require as neutral the cost differance between 10/3 and 10/4 is minimal. I would hard wire the one end into the welder itself, and on the other end use a 4 wire 30 amp plug end. Plug
recepticle
Hope this helps..

Welders do not require a neutral. I see no reason to get 10/4 cord when it only requires 3 wires. (Hot, hot, ground) One wire would be wasted with 10/4. Also only a NEMA 6-30 P/R is needed and is 1/2 the cost of a 14-30P/R.






Tags: volt, extension, cord, millermatic, welder, require neutral