Friday, October 15, 2010

Cook The Best Tasting Charro Beans

charro beans


I absolutely love Mexican food. One of my favorites is charro beans. I eat charro beans alot, I would eat them daily if I lived alone :)








I have gotten rave reviews from my family and friends whenever I make them from scratch. So,try them, I'm sure you will like them too.


Instructions


1. The first thing I do is soak beans for at least 12 hours. This allows for a shorter cooking time which preserves the nutrients, proteins, vitamins and minerals in the beans. After soaking, drain old water from beans and rinse well to remove residue.


2. Cook bacon pieces in a fry pan until well done and then add onions, 3 tablespoons of cilantro, 3 tablespoons of chopped garlic. Cook until onions appear transparent. When onions are done, add bacon mixture, chili powder and cumin to the pot of beans.


3. Add enough cold water to the pot to cover beans, as well as to fill the pot, without spilling over the top while boiling. Add salt, stir and cook on medium low heat. Stir often while cooking to avoid sticking. Cook beans slowly until tender, about 1-1/2 hours. During the last five minutes of cooking, add Roma tomatoes, and any remaining garlic, cilantro. Serve with your favorite Mexican entrees. Enjoy.

Tags: charro beans